What are the chances of getting pregnant inspite of being late for a pill by 14 hours?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2014
Mar 2014
Question
Hi, I have been on Seasonale since I was 18 (i am now 21). I was roughly 14 hrs late taking my pill this weekend after having unprotected sex with my bf. He did cum in me a few times. I am never late for my pill but got stuck in a snow storm and could not get home to get it till 14 hrs later. I did take 2 pills right away when I got home. I was on day 7 of a new pack of pills post menstration. I know the pregnancy risk is always there but do you think that it is high now, should I be freaking out? do you think i should be okay and should just calm down and wait 3 weeks to take a test? (tho I will still freak out these 3 weeks).
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Do not worry Detailed Answer: Hi and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Madhuri an Ob GY specialist and I will be answering your query. I understand that you take regular birth control pills [monthly] and you were late for a pill by 14 hours. It was day 7 of the pill pack. I would like to know what day of the menses it was? Anyways if you had taken the pill regularly for 7 days, chances of pregnancy are very very low. Also you did take 2 pills after 14 hours which again decreases the chances. If you are still worried, you may use plan B pills. They must to be taken within 72 hours of sexual episode and may cause irregular period sometimes. However, I personally feel that there is no need as the chances of pregnancy are very low and delay in taking a pill once by 14 hours will not make much of a difference. Just ensure that you take rest of the pills as advised and try not to miss any of them now. Hope this was helpful. Thanks for using HCM. Feel free to ask any more queries and I will be happy to answer. Dr Madhuri Bagde

Follow-up: What are the chances of getting pregnant inspite of being late for a pill by 14 hours? 33 minutes later
I had finished my cycle, and my period was 100% gone (no more bleeding by tuesday) active pills started up on Sunday. I took my pills regulary from sunday-friday, then was 14 hrs late saturday but took 2 pills right away. I am still taking my pills now.

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: you are safe. Detailed Answer: Hi, You were on active pills for the last 7 days, and were late for a pill by 14 hours only. Ovulation usually occurs in the next 7 days after missing pills. So the chances of it occurring before missing the pill are almost zero. If one pill is delayed, there is no need even for a backup method of contraception. If two pills are missed, then you need a backup method for next 7 days. So you are safe. Just continue with your pills regularly. Please do not worry and enjoy. Dr Madhuri Bagde

Follow-up: What are the chances of getting pregnant inspite of being late for a pill by 14 hours? 7 hours later
could I stop taking my pill end of the 4th row to induce a period? or just continue back to back? How late can someone have an abortion ?

Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: I suggest to continue the pills. Detailed Answer: Hi and welcome, I do not think that you should discontinue the pills. If you do that and have another sexual episode, you will again run the risk of pregnancy. I suggest that you get a urine test about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks after the suspected unprotected sexual episode. If there is a pregnancy the pill will not affect the urine test. It will still come positive. However if by any chance you plan to continue the pregnancy, then it is advisable to stop the pills right away. A medical abortion using abortion pills can be done about until 7 weeks of pregnancy with maximum efficacy. Chances of failure are higher after this. A surgical abortion [ under anesthesia and by a procedure called dilatation and evacuation] can be done till 10-12 weeks of pregnancy, the earlier the better. Hope this was helpful. I am always here to answer your queries. Thanks for using HCM.