What are the chances of getting diabetes for a person having chronic pancreatitis?

My husband was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 17 years ago. The test results showed collapsed tubing, damage and scar tissue in his pancreas. He was discharged out of the Army because they said he would eventually become an insulin dependent diabetic. They put him on enzymes that controlled the attacks but he still had problems from time to time but he still became a diabetic. It took a few years for this to happen. He was told that as the symptoms progressed and he became a diabetic they would reevaluate him to help with medication and benefits. Now the VA says the two are not related because he didn't become a diabetic within one year. They are asking us to provide proof from a doctor that says It could more than likely be because of the chronic pancreatitis or that it's more likely than not because of the chronic pancreatitis. So, Does a person have to become a diabetic within a year of chronic pancreatitis diagnosis for it to be caused by the chronic pancreatitis?
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

Generally, chronic pancreatitis (CP) can lead to diabetes due to lacking in production or/and secretion of insulin.

- You are also saying that your husband did not develop diabetes at the moment he was diagnosed with CP.

So, the most probable cause of diabetes of your husband is CP. Although the time of diabetes onset was 4 year after diagnosing and treating CP (13 years ago), it is this disease (CP) causing it.

- No doctor can predict the time of diabetes onset once CP is diagnosed.

- I understand your worries about your husband. It is good he is being treated accordingly. I'd suggest your husband should take proper measures and do regular check-ups for his pancreatitis and diabetes.

Hope it answered to your question!

p.s. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have other concern!