What are the chances of getting HIV with a third generation negative HIV test?

Would my chances be 95% if i Tested negative at 27 days usin a 3rd generation hiv test; eventhough, I'm 1 day shy Frm 4 weeks??
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Prasad 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes.. Detailed Answer: Hi, The current HIV antibody detection tests (3rd generation HIV tests) available in the market are highly sensitive and is able to pick up antibodies within 3-4 weeks. Therefore negative report on 27 days is almost 99% confirmatory of HIV negative state. So I wouldn't be bothered. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting HIV with a third generation negative HIV test? 6 hours later
Thanks... My only concern is, why do most people say a person has to wait 6- 12 weeks using a 3rd generation hiv test.. In your medical opinion, what's the EARLIEST (in days) can a person get tested using a 3rd generation test NOT a 4 generation and get a good accuracy?? Also when (in days) will a person body start producing antibodies if they were infected?? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Current 3rd generation HIV test is superior than.. Detailed Answer: Hi, HIV antibody production has a window period where the test fail to detect them. This window period roughly correspondence to 2 - 4 months after exposure. Further the previous 3rd generation antibody test were not as sensitive as the current one. So we weren't very sure of the test was accurate during the early days. In view of suspected inaccuracy, doctors recommended a repeat test after the window period. But the time are changed now. Modern 3rd generation antibody test are proved to be accurate even during early days. In fact the accuracy is close to 100% even before 4 weeks. Therefore I don't doubt the results of your test. As far as your second question is concerned, antibodies are produced within few days after infection. Currently available tests are able to convincingly detect it's presence by 2-3 weeks. However the production falls between 2-4 months to rise again. It stays elevated until the body immune cell starts failing from the virus load. Hope I have answered all your questions. Write back for clarification. Regards