What are the chances of getting HIV through superficial cuts on fingers?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Hi Doctor I recently went to a massage parlor exactly a month ago , had a full body to body massage , at the end of the massage i received a BJ with a condom on , i fingered the woman's vagina for a brief 45- 60 seconds , whats worrying me is that i have a habit of biting my nails and not sure if i had a hangnail or superficial cuts on my fingers, Am i at risk for a possible HIV exposure , I'm really beginning to worry a lot , please help Regards XXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV exposure Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome to health care magic. I understand your concern regarding possible exposure to HIV during the above mentioned episode. Potential exposure can be assessed based on the type of exposure, volume of exposure, duration and the HIV status of the person you are exposed to. It is significant if exposure has occurred to compromised skin, and volume of infectious fluid is more and duration is long. In your case, as you were exposed to vaginal fluid which is very rich in HIV particles if the person is HIV positive. Assuming that you had a hangnail which can be considered as compromised skin and duration of exposure was about 1 minute. But the status of the masseuse is not known. Assuming that the masseuse is having high risk behavior and is at a potential risk for HIV, your exposure can be considered significant. I suggest, you get a 28 day HIV duo test done to confirm your HIV status and also relieve your anxiety. Please let me know if I can assist you further. Thanks.