What are the chances of getting HIV after touching genital parts with finger cut?

Mar 2013
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I had an protected vaginal sex with a sex worker that perform oral sex with condom and a short vaginal sex (less than 5 minutes) with condom as well. Moreover, I rubbed her clitoris with my finger that had a 1 cm superficial cut that was made 5 hours before the contact and was not bleeding. I didn't felt my finger got wet once I just touched her clitoris. I'm affraid because of the cut on the finger and because I had a two days old stucked hair (not visible open) on the base of my penis which may have contact with her vaginal secretion because him not sure it was covered by the condom. So, my question is: am I at risk? Thanks in advance for your time. I believe is also important to inform you that my cut was 1mm thick and less than a cm wide. What I'm affraid is about HIV transmission. Thanks Sorry to not write all at once, but it's also important to refer that my cut was aroung 1mm deep and the cut was not rubbed on her vagina. However, the cut may had been in touch with some fluid because after rubbing her clitoris I touched her nipples and the cut may have touched her nipple which may have some very small amount of vaginal fluid (it felt dry).
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: NEGLIGIBLE RISK EXISTS. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I believe your chances of acquiring HIV or any other infection are really low. This is because 1. You used a condom, and a single hair sticking out does not change the protection level. 2. You had minimal contact with the vaginal fluid that would have been on the clitoris 3. IT too was not direct, but first rubbed on the nipple, and then came in touch with your finger cut. Thus the amount of fluid that actually touched your finger would be minimal to nil. 4. 1 mm deep cut is a very superficial cut, almost none at all. 5. HIV transmission occurs through bodily exchange of significant amount of fluids, the way you describe it, your risk is negligible. Hence, for all these reasons, your risk of acquiring HIV is practically zero. However, you must remember that , inspite of condom use, there is always a THEORETICAL risk of HIV transmission, so that risk will always exist, irrespective of the cut and the fluid contact. What I meant was, condoms are not 100 % effective. If you are not sure of the disease status of your sexual partner ( s ) , it is better to get yourself tested after 3 months. All the best PLease feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting HIV after touching genital parts with finger cut? 15 minutes later
Hello Doctor XXXXXXX I believe I have described the occurence quite accuratelly. By what I have been reading, the superficial cut I had should be closed after 4 hours. Furtheremore, as I mentioned, I never felt or see any liquid in my finger or even had a wet sensation. About the condom, it was intact and there's no chances that liquids went in to my urethra. I check it after using it and was integer. The stucked hair in the base of my penis had a blister convering the hair and, few minutes after washing myself, I press it in order to check if it was open and no liquid came out. It was closed. Do I really need to test to be sure? Should I be 3 months worring about it? Thanks. I upload a foto of my finger cut
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. I have gone through the photograph. It is indeed a superficial cut, and as I already mentioned, the episode described has a negligible risk of acquiring HIV. Yes, you should be tested. And that is not because of the mode of encounter. THat is, if the HIV status of your partner was unknown. This is again, because condoms are never 100 % effective. I hope this clarifies matters more. I would welcome further discussion. Take care.