What are the chances of getting HIV after having protected sex?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Hi Dr. this is a very typical question that I need answered. I have been living in southeast Asia for the last 3 years. last HIV test was in March, negative. I have only had protected sex with various sex workers, but I am nervous because I have a girlfriend and I fear putting her at risk. no symptoms per Se just overall concern. this question is also sparked from a very strange activity I just had in bangkok that involved 'watersports' and I also fear hepititas. chances of infection?
Posted Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Protected sex carries negligible risk for HIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. As you had protected sex every time consistently and throughout the act your risk is almost nil as far as HIV is concerned, provided that there is no other risk factors like sharing needle and repeated blood transfusion and unprotected oral sex etc. Your girl friend also has no risk for HIV as long as your sex with others are totally protected. You had a negative HIV test. That means you had not infected with HIV by your sexual activities up to the period of December 2013. That is all. It reflects the status of sexual activity 3 months prior to the test. As long as you are having the protected exposure the chances of Hepatitis through sex also is uncommon. Water sports also carries very low risk either for HIV or Hepatitis. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What are the chances of getting HIV after having protected sex? 2 hours later
hi Doctor. thanks for the response. I forgot to add that there has been unprotected oral throughout the exposures, giving and receiving.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV risk low with oral sex. STDs can occur. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. HIV risk through oral sex is very low compared to penetrative anal and vaginal sex. STD also can occur through oral sex. Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and other ulcerative STD can be transmitted. So it is better to have a thorough examination and a blood work up for STD and repeat HIV test also. Yeast infection is common following oral sex. Your girl friend also is liable for risk if you have unprotected sex with her. The risk of STD also very much less when compared to genital or anal sex. Oral sex also is to be protected in future to avoid unnecessary complications. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What are the chances of getting HIV after having protected sex? 3 days later
is it that it is quite difficult to catch HIV from unprotected vaginal is that why there is such a strong confidence in protected vaginal from doctors?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Protected vaginal sex has negligible risk for HIV Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome once again. It is in a way quite true. Anal sex is more XXXXXXX than vaginal sex. Recipient of vaginal sex (female) has more risk for HIV than a male partner. As per CDC, Atlanta, the risk of HIV through an insertive vaginal sex is just 5/0000 exposures. Naturally the risk of protected vaginal sex has almost no risk for HIV. Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What are the chances of getting HIV after having protected sex? 22 hours later
what about anal receptive sex toys that might have been shared? not confirmed the cleanliness but there were some toys inserted anally.

Brief Answer: The risk of HIV through sex toys negligible Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Here in our place the use sex toys are not popular. So its availability also is not wide enough. So in my carrier of 30 years I din't come across a single case got STD/HIV through sex toys. Moreover I had not come across such incidence in any of the literature or journals available on the topics of STD/HIV. Certain web site is quoting the risk is extremely low. Nobody will share these toys without cleaning. HIV can not viable outside environment other than body fluids. Once it gets dried there is no chance of HIV is being alive. So the risk of HIV through sex toys is negligible only. Dr S XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What are the chances of getting HIV after having protected sex? 28 hours later
to be honest overall I am a bit concerned. I am sure its guilt. but in an overall summary of everything I stated prior...how likely is it I have exposed my girlfriend to something? ---- I have been with a lot of CSW

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Your girl friend's chance of getting HIV is remote Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome once again. You had protected vaginal sex all along. So you are safe. You had unprotected oral sex. Your risk for HIV is very low. Sharing sex toys the risk is negligible. So the chances of getting HIV and transmitting the same to your sex partner is remote only. Even if you already infected (for argument sake), it is not mandatory that you would have transmitted the disease to your girlfriend, as nearly 30-40% of spouses of HIV positive people remain HIV negative even after their prolonged relationship and regular sex contact. They are called as Sero-discordant couple. So I coined the word 'remote' as far as the chance of getting HIV from you. Dr S.Murugan