What are the chances of contracting HSV-1 from kissing experiences?

Hi there. What would be the chances of contracting HSV-1 (cold sores) from a one-time kissing experience with an individual who does NOT have an cold sore present and has never had one? I have no reason to suspect I am vulnerable other than I kissed someone I found out has kissed lots of people. But again she says she has never had a cold sore. I am just an anxious, worrisome individual and want to make sure the risk would be low. Thank you.
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Omer 26 days later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said that you kissed a person , and you dont know her HSV 1 status , now worried will you get it?

First of all lesion arouund lips/mouth

These herpes usually flares during any disease like fever , sore thorat and so on

You dont know the HSV status of that girl , as girls are more prone for HSV due to kissing , oral sex , use of forks , spoon during eating from the other person

Usually after an incubation period of not more than 14 days , HSV presents with lips lesions with sore throat

So i would recommend to keep on observing yourself for that period , as there is no test to confirm this till after the incubation period ,you can do HSV PCR test

But Seeing your age , 28 years , if you didnt get HSV till now , hope so that you will not get contaminated now , and may be you are immunized against HSV , may be you dont KNow, as HSV most commonly starts in childhood , so just DONT WORRY.

I hope this explains your query

Feel free to ask any further questions