What are the chances of children getting HIV if mother was infected during pregnancy? When is the disease visible?

One of my cousin's parents diagonised with HIV a few years back (may be 6-7 years) and her mother died 3 years back.. What are the chances of my cousins (19 yr old girl and 17 yr old boy) getting HIV? In worst case, if we assume their mother has HIV during pregrency and my cousins affected with HIV, by what time the disease will be visible? Girl went for the screening 3 months back and got negative result.

Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 56 minutes later

Important aspects of your query are:
•     HIV infection in uncle and aunty
•     Worry related to HIV transmission in cousins

HIV spread by:
•     During childbirth if mother already have infection
•     Sex with infected person
•     Sharing of infected needles or syringe
•     Transfusion of infected blood

Average life after HIV infection is 8-10 years. It appear that your aunty was non infected at the time of birth of your cousins.

When HIV occurs in husband or wife it spread easily to other spouse because of sex, but it is not spread in children if they are born non infected, by simple contact during routine activities. Even if their mother is infected at the time of child birth then the chances of infection in child is 33%.

Your cousin sister has negative test then she is not infected. Easiest way to reduce worry related to your cousin brother status to get HIV ELISA(Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test for him. But HIV test is done with the consent of patient only and cannot be forced on anybody.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.