What are the chances of being infected with gonorrhea after having sex?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Doc, I went and saw my doctor for a possible std, and he prescribed me with Doxycycline that day and waited for the results of the gonorrhea test. I started to the doxy and the symptoms went away after 3rd day, and continued to take the rest of the rx. On the eight day I had sex with a new a partner and I went to the dr on the 9th day. The PA advised me that I had gonorrhea and gave me a shot, and said it would be cured in 24 hrs, to refrain from sex for 7 days. My questions is this, sicne I had sex with a new partner what are the chances of me passing it on to her? Does the doxyaffect any part of the bacteria to make it less contagious. I have read doxycycline used to be rx for it but now its not. My symptoms went away???
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please follow the answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history carefully and understood your concerns. Usually, doxy is the antibiotic of choice in gonorrhea together with other wide-range antibiotics. The tests you had at your doctor's office were performed to diagnose gonorrhea and culture and sensitivity to find out the right antibiotic treatment for you. As long as your symptoms were alleviated while using doxy, it means that its effect was positive. If you had protected sex with your partner on the eighth day, then, I'd suggest to have her treated for gonorrhea as well. It is called prophylactic treatment. Although low, there is still risk to transmit gonorrhea to her. It is advised not to have sex until you are completely treated (i.e. lab results will not show gonorrhea anymore). All the best! Dr.Sonila Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!
Follow-up: What are the chances of being infected with gonorrhea after having sex? 42 minutes later
Thanks Doc, So basically the doxycycline did work on the gonorrhea during the initial treatment since my symptons such as redness and discharge was alleviated in 3 days. So does that affect the contagious of the bacteria. I had unprotected sex with a new partner, there is a slight chance to pass the infection to her and I understand that she should be tested just in case. How quickly does the Doxy kill the bacteria, within the first 3 to 5 days and they keep you on it so it doesnt come back, The Dr. gave me a shot and advised that should be it and did ask me to come back. I know a women ahs 60 to 90 percent chance of catching when having sex with affected partner, but in my case do you think the chances are lowered because I was on antibiotic? Basically my spouse went away, I did something I shoudnt have done, and she was away for a couple of weeks, and she came back on the 6 day when we had sex. completely scared to death,
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Please follow the suggestions below... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for following up. It is true that the effect of doxy will start within 3 days of start. It is also true that chances to transmit the disease is reduced while on doxy treatment. Hopefully, you won't transmit it to your wife. However, you should follow up with your doctor. Dr.Sonila