What are the chances of HIV infection after an unprotected oral and anal sex?

Dec 2012

Hi, please could you tell me what my risk levels are for hiv?
i am 20 and i have had one sexual encounter with a 40 year old male roughly 7 months ago. I gave oral sex unprotected, however there was no ejaculation involved, and then preceded to anal sex. I received protected, there was no ejaculation this way either.

I am just concerned as a partner ive had after this event has recently started to get acne like spots on her face and back, and has one incident of night sweats. Other than these two factors there are no other symptoms in either of us, health is fine. Neither of us share needles.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 4 hours later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

First of all, let me start by saying that there is always a risk involved of contracting HIV each time there is unprotected sex. But per your report, you gave oral sex unprotected but no ejaculation meaning that you risk not getting any HIV through that, as HIV is always transmitted only when there is fluid exchange and risk through the mouth is always almost nil. If you received protected anally, then also risk here boils down to almost nil as there is no way the virus could pass through the condom into your anal orifice hence to your blood stream.
As for the description you are giving of your partner with acne, I do not think that is related to HIV either as those are not early symptoms of HIV.
By the way HIV symptoms do not come out so fast, 7 months after sexual contact. It takes several months for seroconversion to occur before a person can infect another person and it takes several other months to years for symptoms related to HIV to start manifesting. Evidently if you are thinking that you must have gotten your partner infected and that the symptoms she is having are related to HIV, then I am afraid you are mistaken. But it will be wise that you get yourself tested for HIV(including your partner) just to make sure that you are free of HIV ones and for all.

Hope this information serves purpose.
Dr. Nsah