What are the causes of strep throat and increased saliva in mouth?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello Doctor. I have a strep throat. What are the causes of this condition and why am I producing so much saliva. My mouth is full of saliva every minute or so. How can I alleviate this condition and how long will it last?
Posted Thu, 19 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Will feel better in 5-7 days. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The excessive saliva that you are producing is a normal symptom of throat infection. Usually such infections resolve in 3-5 days time with proper antibiotics. I suggest the following treatment options currently: 1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you. 2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits. 3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances. 4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables. Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.