What are the causes of sore throat, fever, muscle pain and extreme malaise ?

Hello, I am a 28-year old female. I went to bed last night with a mild sore throat, and woke up a few hours ago with a severely painful sore throat, enough so that swallowing is rather difficult. I have gotten worse over the past few hours and now have new symptoms, such as a fever of 100.5, chills, extreme malaise and muscle aches, and lower-left flank pain. I do not, however, have the typical symptoms of a cold such as a cough or funny nose. My doctor just went on vacation...should I wait this out, or seek an Urgent Care?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later

Your symptoms are consistent with the features of upper respiratory infection. Most upper respiratory infections are viral, all of which are self limiting illness needing only symptomatic treatment.

But since the symptoms have worsened acutely and since temperature is over 100 deg F, I suspect the cause in your case could be bacterial. You will need a course of antibiotic which are prescription drugs. Few doctors may request a swab and culture test for diagnosis. Left flank pain could be part of this infection. Else it could be due to urine test is entailed.

As your doctor is currently unavailable, you may consult the doctors at Urgent Care Clinics and get the prescription.

In the mean time, saline water gargling three times a day for 2-3 days will benefit you. Gargling with warm water mixed with Disprin or crushed aspirin tablets will also relieve throat pain. Disprin (aspirin) tablets are available as OTC at some places. It is essential to keep yourself well hydrated by taking plenty of warm fluids. Proper rest and nutrition will aid in recovery. If you are not able to swallow solid diet, try semisolid or liquid diet.

I hope I have answered your query.

I wish you speedy recovery.

If there are any more queries, you can write back to me. I will be available to answer them as well.