What are the causes of soft lump on penis after sex? Blood flow problem? Have difficulty maintaining erection.

General Surgeon
Question
could yo tell me what causes the soft lump on the shaft of the penis at the base (stomach side) after sex? Is it blood not going out through the valve properly or a lymph swelling? This is an enquiry for my boyfriend. He sometimes has difficulty maintaining an erection. Im wondering if it is maybe a physical problem as well as psychological?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 19 minutes later
Hello

Post intercourse or sex ,soft swelling at the base of penis is commonly due to some hindrance in the back flow of blood .

As during erection blood flow to penis increase considerably ,immediately after discharge blood starts returning through veins ,if there is partial venous obstruction blood flow is hampered and soft swelling is produced .

He can get his penile color Doppler study done to find the exact cause & place of of obstruction if any.

It is never due to lymph or obstruction to flow of lymph.

Not maintaining erection can be both due to psychological & physical reason .

Psychological problem is much more common than physical reason . So proper examination from urologist along with penile color Doppler study and other hormonal study is essential.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: What are the causes of soft lump on penis after sex? Blood flow problem? Have difficulty maintaining erection. 11 minutes later
thank you for that, it was very helpful. So Im assuming that there might be a problem with the valve that the blood flows through, both in keeping the blood in the penis during an erection and also not allowing it to flow properly our after? Or do these valves only have problems letting the blood flow one way or the other? Can psychological worries cause this lump or affect the valve?

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 38 minutes later
Hello
Nice to see you again

Psychological causes generally don't cause venous flow disturbance or valve malfunctions and post sex soft swelling at the base of penis .

Some organic or physical cause can be there . Thorough investigation can pin point the cause .

Psychological causes can lead to premature ejaculation or early discharge but not penile swelling or valve malfunction.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”