What are the causes of pain in the lower back and groin area ?

Hi about a month ago I developed pain in my groin and lower back area. It got worse about 2 weeks ago and I went to the doctor who told me he though it was sciatica and put me on motrin which I have been taking for about a week now. For the last week I have not been able to sleep through the night either, I wake up like 4 to 5 times a night but have no problem falling back to sleep. This isn't because of the pain because it is not bad while I am sleeping. The last week I have developed some chest pain near the center and to the left side of the sternum. It hurts more usually when I am sitting. I also have a little bit of a cough right now too. I am really nervous about what could be wrong. I have never had these problems in the past and am 27 years old about 6 feet tall and weigh around 213 lbs.

Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 29 minutes later

The pain in the groin and lower back area is because of involvement of the spinal nerves which supply your groin and back. The common cause for this is lumbar spondylosis and slip disc.

As you are only 27 years, you can get this under control by doing regular back exercises to strengthen your back and groin muscles. These exercises are better done under the supervision of a physical therapist / chiropractor.

If pain worsens or persists even after graded exercises get an MRI of the back to confirm the diagnosis under the guidance of your primary physician.

The pain in the chest with cough suggests probable suffering from pleuritis (inflammation of the pleura) which usually is a self limiting problem. Steam inhalation, NSAID's and if required an antibiotic can solve this. If pain persists get an chest X XXXXXXX to see for additional problems. So take a mild pain killer which will help you for both the problems and start back exercises slowly.

Hope my recommendations help you in relief of pain.

Follow-up: What are the causes of pain in the lower back and groin area ? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your answer, I greatly appreciate it. What would your ideas be on the restless sleep factor for the last week? I wake up about 4 to 5 times a night and like I said it is not because of pain as it is usually non existent during the night but I know that I have been greatly stressed out over this and constantly worrying about my conditions. I obviously think it is something worse than it probably is and think I have some kind of cancer, so that stresses me out too. Do you think that is the primary factor for my sleep insomnia?

Again thank you for your response, it is a great help.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 14 hours later

Thanks for the query again.

I feel the restless sleep is related to your stress. It has nothing to do with your back ache. You don't have any serious problems based on the symptoms described by you. It is too early for me to say that you are suffering from primary insomnia. I don't think you have any cancer in the body. So do not worry you will be fine once you start your back and groin exercises.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you Good Health.