What are the causes of excessive weight gain ?

Hi i am 20 years old and in college. Over the past year i have gaind about 20 pounds and its noticeable in my face and breasts but my periods are regular. I was wondering if those would be signs of pregnancy or just me over reacting.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

Gaining weight is not something that is related only to pregnancy. If you are having normal regular periods then you need not attribute your obesity to pregnancy. If you are not having any regular periods then you need to have your urine checked for pregnancy with help of pregcard freely available at all pharmacies.

Gaining weight rapidly has got multiple reasons and an overall assessment needs to be done under the guidance of physician to find out the cause. Hormonal disturbances is one of the common causes which needs some blood tests for diagnosis.You can do Routine blood investigations and T3,T4 and TSH levels.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.