What are the causes for squishy sound in joints?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. when I move almost any joint (knee, ankle, hip, mostly) I feel and almost hear a sort of 'squishy' sound. what could possibly be causing that? should i see my orthopedic surgeon about it
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 51 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is a normal phenomena. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Sometimes as a normal phenomena, fluid (synovial fluid) that lubricate the joint release bubbles which pop and crackle with movement. This occurs very commonly after a period of inactivity or during certain movements. I am not sure if this is what you have, but this is my most likely explanation to your symptoms. You don't need to worry if there is no associated joint pain; but you have to do some conditioning exercises to improve the overall integrity of the joint - stronger muscle will take the weight of the joint and help to reduce the pressure on articulating surfaces, thus preventing any damage to the joint. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care.