What are the causes for spreading itching sensation in legs, chest and back?

General Surgeon
last 20 years my weight is stand still at 60 to62 kg.Iam 46 yrs.But since last 7 months I automatically started gaining weight and today Im 68 kg. During this period I faced problem of legs and hands itcing and could not sleep till 6 am. ..iconsulted dermatologist and he prescribed medicines which included levosiz. after the course,itching started again and I again cosulted doc. he was unable to solve my problem and said to take livosiz tab when itcing starts.I am doing so ,but now the ithing spread to sometimes chest,next time the back then again next time to thighs etc etc. please advise XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 4 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: To rule out Hypothyroidism Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Generalized pruritis as in your case could be due to one of the following 1. Hypersensitivity reaction to external allergen like dust, mites, parthenium grass in common terms known as congress grass. There could be also allergy to certain foods especially sea foods. 2. Endocrine disorder like Hypothyroidism: it could also have weight gain, Generalized pruritis as the symptoms. I would suggest you the following Investigation 1. Serum T3,T4 and TSH levels to rule out Hypothyroidism. 2. Complete blood count: which may reveal Eosinophil in case of allergy 3. Liver function test for management of pruritis I would suggest you the following 1. Local application of Liquid Paraffin which acts like emollient will soothe the skin. 2. Throroughly rinse your clothes in lukewarm water to remove all traces of detergent. as many patients do have allergy to detergent used for washing 3. Hot water bath twice a day to remove all the dust. followed by application of aloe vera based moisturising cream. 4. when itching occurs take the tablet prescribed by your doctor. I hope it helped In case you require any further assistance,will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS,MS, MCH