What are the causes for painful lumps in the groin ?

Oncologist
Question
I have a painful lump in my groin, what could it be?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 37 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Depending on exact location a painful groin lump could be any of three general possibilities.

The first consideration is - lymph node. There is a cluster of lymph nodes in the groin which can become inflamed in response to some kind of infection. If you have any symptoms of infection in general including fever, pain with urination, or vaginal discharge this could trigger lymph node swelling.

Since this is a good possibility we also need to know the size, number of lymph nodes along with its texture. We also need to check if it is on both sides. A lot of causes can be ruled out by physical examination of these lymph nodes.

The second possibility is that this could be a small infected sebaceous cyst. This is triggered by an ingrown hair which causes an infection and the infection progresses somewhat until pus accumulates under the skin. These can be quite painful and sometimes are treated with antibiotics or even a small procedure where the cyst is drained surgically.

The last possibility would be a hernia. These tend to be larger and are caused by a small weakness in the abdominal wall which allows for part of the bowels to push through creating a palpable lump.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you will find my answer to be both helpful and informative. Should you have any additional followups I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: What are the causes for painful lumps in the groin ? 54 minutes later
I also have swollen glands under the neck and have had the groin lump for six months.
Follow-up: What are the causes for painful lumps in the groin ? 3 minutes later
I also have a rash on my side and under my arm

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thanks for writing back,

As for the lymph glands in the neck and the rash it is difficult to say if this is related to what is going on in the groin and I would be purely speculating to give you a list of things which could cause a combination of these symptoms.

I think it would be most appropriate for you to attend a comprehensive evaluation by an XXXXXXX medicine specialist who can check the glands, your groin and possibly order some lab tests to rule out underlying problems. I think it would be well worth the time energy and expense to help you obtain peace of mind as well as improve your health.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga