What are the causes for low blood pressure and low pulse ?

I am a 63 year old female in good health however 6 weeks ago I had a scheduled colon resection surgery from repeated diverticulitis episodes over the years, .and just now getting back to feeling good again. My blood pressure readings since the surgery have been 110/66 and a heart rate of 57 and 62. 62 was after walking 3 laps around the inside of our super Wal Mart without stopping. I take a half tablet atenol/chlor50-25 mg and (1) lisinopril 5 mg daily but since the surgery these readings seem lower for me than usual. Before the surgery my readings were around 130/70 with the medicine. I have been taking the blood pressure meds for about 5 years. The Doctors found my electrolytes were off in the hospital and they had to add potassium/ Chloride through an IV drip, plus my blood pressure in the hospital was high 170/ 80 in bed, as they were giving me meds that I don't usually take for the surgery. I do not feel faint or dizzy or excessively weak now . . should I be concerned at all especially about the lower heart rate and consult my Doctor? Also I have lost about 40 pounds since the first of the year from the colon problems.

My height is 5 ft 3 and I weigh about 180 right now.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 58 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

There are a number of factors which have caused your blood pressure to go down a bit including the significant weight loss you have experienced as well as the surgery now serving as a definitive solution to the diverticulosis which in itself served as a stressor on the body which does raise the blood pressure.

Honestly - 110/66 with a pulse of 52 is excellent if not ideal as far as vital signs go. If you had symptoms of dizziness, passing out etc I would be concerned. These numbers otherwise do not concern me.

If your pulse dips into the 40s you may need to have the atenolol adjusted. I would also check your blood pressure on multiple monitors to make sure you are seeing accurate readings and followup with your doctor as scheduled.

It looks to me like you are on the road to much better health - congratulations on that! I thank you again for your query. If I can be of assistance with other concerns please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What are the causes for low blood pressure and low pulse ? 20 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I need to buy a reliable blood pressure monitor that I can use more regularly at home. Do you have any suggestions on a type, brand or heading me in the right direction on a purchase. I have been mostly using the store blood pressure cuffs unless I go to the Dr. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later

There are hundreds of different types of cuffs. I suggest you take a look at consumer reports or call a medical supply store as the salesmen there will have a good idea of the more reliable models. Also, bring the cuff to your doctors appointments and test it against the cuff they use to make sure it is accurate.

Again it is a pleasure to work with you regarding this medical concern. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Dr. Galamaga