What are the causes for itching in breast with clear discharge?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 22 year old female. One breast seems to irritate me more that another. It has been like this for atleast a year. It feels itchy. Sometimes when I itch it, I feel tempted to squeeze it, and clear discharge will come out from several ducts. Sometimes I would squeeze my other breast and sometimes clear discharge comes out, but not always. Today, I just felt like squeezing my nipple (the one that bothers me more) and clear discharge came out. I tried squeezing my other nipple and nothing came out. I do not have a family history of breast cancer. Should I be worried? Should I follow up with my gyn?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. I think this is physiologic nipple discharge and it means that this is normal and you should not be worried if there are no other associated symptoms such as breast redness, bloody or pussy discharge or palpation of lump inside breasts. If this is just clear discharge then this is probably normal duct secretion which accumulates in your ducts and cause discomfort. So I think that cancer is the last thing to think of,especially in your age,but if you want to be sure you can do mamography and ultrasound. I dont think this is necessary at this point unless you notice some symptoms that I ve mentioned. WIsh you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Follow-up: What are the causes for itching in breast with clear discharge? 53 minutes later
Alright, I sent a photo. I don't know if my breasts look normal. One seems slightly bigger than the other. Another thing is that, I don't know if this is psychological, but I feel that the nipple I squeezed ( and fluid came out) is sore now?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: I ve seen photo and i dont see some patology at this point. if there is no bump or redness then you can wait and see will it develop. so this soreness may be norml or it can the beginning of breast inflammation called breast abscess. in this case you ll need antibiotic treatment or drainage. But i still dont think this is abscess and i am sure the soreness will subside soon. If not,you should do breast ultrasound