What are the causes for irregular menstrual bleeding ?

I started bleeding at 6dpo. It started off very dark brown and light but is now brightvred, medium flow, thinner than my usualnperiod. I am now 13 dpo and I expected to get my period this coming Friday. I am feeling incredibly tired and am having frequent headaches. I am 41 and my periods have always been very regular.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 43 minutes later

Could you tell me when your last menses were?
Exactly when did you get this bleeding?
How long did it last?
When did you last have intercourse?
When were your thyroid levels last checked?

These are important to give a helpful advice for you. I shall be waiting for your answer.

Follow-up: What are the causes for irregular menstrual bleeding ? 5 hours later
The date of my last period was 8th april and lasted 3 days. My next period was meant to be due on Friday 6th may. My Thyroid levels were checked on 1st April and said to be stable on my current dosage of 100 mcg. I am currently trying to conceive and had intercourse four times during my fertile week including what I believe to be the day of ovulation - 13th April.

I have been bleeding from 26th April until today 3rd may. The bleeding is still going on and is a medium flow - but very bright red. I felt run down with flu-"like symptoms and a low grade fever last week (7dpo to 10 dpo).
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 48 minutes later
Thanks for the information,

If your last period was 8th april then your fertile days would have been between april 19th-23(roughly between day 12-16 of your cycle).In a normal 28 day cycle ovulation may occur anytime between day 12-16 of the cycle.
However,you started bleeding on april26th till date.

This could be due to a couple of reasons.
First you should do a pregnancy test.This is to rule out the possibility of a missed abortion.If the pregnancy test is positive,you will need to see a doctor and get an ultrasound.
If its negative then the irregular bleeding has another cause which has to be determined by more tests.You will need to have a pelvic exam and ultrasound to rule out fibroids,polyps etc.Thyroid dysfunction can also cause irregular menses but since your thyroid levels are under control,that is not an immediate suspect.

I suggest you start with the pregnancy test and go from there.

Follow-up: What are the causes for irregular menstrual bleeding ? 1 hour later
Sorry, I meant day 13 of my cycle was my ovulation day ( not April 13th). I have been reading a little about implantation bleeding but this seems to be too much blood for it to be that.

Thank you for your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 8 minutes later
You're right.Implanatation bleeding is more like spotting and lasts 24-48 hrs after about 7-10 days after ovulation.You seem to be bleeding heavier.
I hope that you can get the advised tests done.