What are the causes for having unpleasant odour?

Smelling of burnt odors or toxic smell when it happens and last for a long time in my sensory
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Condition is called Phantosmia & is self-limiting Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Forum. From the sketchy information provided, you seem to suffering from a condition called "Phantosmia", which is characterized by perception of an unpleasant odor when there is no odorant in the environment. It is also called "olfactory hallucination". However, in most of the cases, Phantosmia disappears on its own over a period of time, without any treatment. The causes of Phantosmia are as follows :- * Chronic Sinus Problem * Upper respiratory infections * Accidents leading to head injury which involves damage to the nerves which transmit the smell to the brain for analysis. * As the initial presentation of the onset of a type of epilepsy (seizure) called Temporal Lobe Seizure, in which there may not alteration of consciousness. * Chronic migraines * Brain Tumors * It has also been seen in persons who eventually develop Parkinson's Disease or Alzheimer's. * It can also occur in those suffering from depression or schizophrenia. The treatment depends on the cause. However, some of the common measures include frequent rinsing the nose Saline Nasal sprays or frequent use of Oxymetazoline nasal sprays. In some cases, anti-depressant drugs (particularly Venlafaxine) and anti-epileptic drugs are effective in treating the condition. However, if these measures fail and, depending on the cause, surgical treatment is the best alternative. Hence, please consult a Neurologist, who knows what would be best for your problem. I hope that my response was helpful, informative and enlightening. I will be happy to answer further clarifications, if any. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal