What are the causes for having increased heart rate during night?

General Surgeon
my heart rate increases only at night but not during the day. it wakes me up several times. i sit up for awhile and it slows down. why
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Most probably due to REM sleep, to rule out IHD. Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day It is quite common to see patients presenting with such complaints. The heart rate varies in sleep depending on whether the person is in Non REM (Rapid eye movement) or REM sleep. There may be vivid dreams and the heart rate may be altered and which may wake up the person. Apart from it I would suggest you to Get Stress Electrocardiogram ( ECG) to rule out any Ischemic heart disease and also get a Thyroid profile done to rule out Hyperthyroidism as cause of your symptoms. I hope I have answered your query, in case you have any other query you can anytime get back to me. Wishing you a healthy life Take care Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Surgeon