What are the causes for green stools?

For several months, not consecutively though, I've had stools (bowels) that are several shades of green. This is something that has never happened before inmy intire life. I am 71 years old. 72 in January 2014. It worries mw, and my doctor says all my tests are normal. When I return in a week she will have the results for my stool test and others.What would you diagnose or what would you check for? No one seems alarmed that I thought I had gallstones.My doctor doesn't seem worried at all. Oh, I am female.
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nothing to worry Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query When food passes through the intestine, it mixes with bile which is green in colour, over the course in the intestine this green colour slowly tunrs into yellow brown. However when stool passes through the bowel quickly it remains green. Sometimes green colour is considered a normal variant of stool. It can also turn green if you are eating a lot of green leafy vegetables or food where they have used green as a colouring agent. I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards