Ask a Urologist   »  

What are the causes for frequent urination in children ?

Hi, My son is 7 years and for two weeks I watching him frequent urination, sometimes 3.4 times within an hour. Earlier son did not have any problems with peeing. I was with him at the doctor GP, who stated that the son does not have any problems with the kidneys and bladder. The urine also is not any bacteria. Yesterday for the first time also soaked bed during the night. He feels no pain when peeing, sometimes he pees a drop and sometimes normal.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 42 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding what is going on with your son.

Of course urinating three or four times per hour is absolutely abnormal. There are several different things which could be triggering this type of frequency of urination. I am not sure which tests other than maybe a urinalysis which the pediatrician has performed right now.

The first category which could cause problems with frequency of urination is a sometimes leads to discomfort with urination as well. Sometimes also there may be blood in the urine. A urinalysis would certainly be abnormal in this case.

The next category which we must consider is metabolic. There are several different metabolic disorders which could cause a change in the frequency of urination. The most common of these is diabetes. If there is any family history of diabetes. This would certainly be a consideration. In the absence of a family history it still would be prudent to check him for this. This can be done by checking the Garen for glucose. There are also blood tests which can be done to check for the average blood glucose level. Sometimes disturbance in electrolytes may also trigger a frequency of urination. Again, blood tests can help with this.

The next category which we must consider is kidney function. If there is anything that somehow affected the function of his kidneys so that they do not we absorb water as they usually should this can increase the frequency of urination. A comprehensive metabolic profile which is a blood test will help yield answers regarding his kidney function as well as the electrolytes which I previously mentioned.

I think it would be prudent to revisit this issue with your child's physician. He may need to request additional testing at this point. This does not seem like a purely behavioral abnormality although that is a remote consideration.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns regarding this I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga