What are the causes for extremely foul smelling stools?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
why is there a foul smell when I am defacating. what causes it.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 56 minutes later
Hi there.

Are you having recent change in bowel movement, recent change in the smell or colour of stools, any diarrhea or constipation ?

Any abdominal pain ?

Usually bowel infections caused by organisms like E.coli, Amebiasis can cause foul smelling stools associated with abdominal pain and diarrhea. Diabetes raises the chances fr infections because of lower immunity.

Sometimes when fat in the diet does not get absorbed, it gets excreted in large amounts in the stool and cause severe foul smell and also the stool floats in water. It can be seen in Gall bladder or intestine malabsorptive problems like Whipple's disease, Celiac sprue etc.

Severe constipation can cause foul smelling diarrhea after a weak due to bacterial fermentation as well.

The smell is usually due to infection or malabsorptive disorders.

It is best you get your stool sample tested for infection. Consult your Doctor to examine you for infections or malabsorptive disorders as mentioned.

Eat a diet with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily. Keep blood sugar in check and maintain good control.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.