What are the causes for constant pelvic pain and frequent urination ?

Oncologist
Question
I had been suffering with constant pelvic pain for nearly one year. The last couple of days I have needed to urinate all the time. I had an ultrasound done in January and a second in XXXXXXX along with a full range of blood tests including the ca125 test. I'm still really worried that I have ovarian cancer even though my gp doesn't seem worried.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for the query.

I am confident you do not have ovarian cancer. This is especially true in the setting of a normal ultrasound and normal CA125. If it were ovarian cancer there would definitely be abnormal test results which is simply not the case for you - let me reassure you of this.

As far as the pelvic pain there are a host of other things which could contribute to this including changes in the uterine tissue such as endometriosis, bladder spasm or sometimes kidney stones. If your physician is not providing you with a better understanding of what to do next for this pelvic pain I suggest you seek a second opinion.

You may possibly need to have a full pelvic exam and possibly additional imaging such as a CT scan to evaluate the tissue in the pelvis.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your GP.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: What are the causes for constant pelvic pain and frequent urination ? 4 hours later
What is causing me to urinate do much? As soon as I go to the toilet I need to go again, I do suffer from a weak bladder after having a baby, sneezing, coughing is a nightmare but I've never gone this much. Also my tummy is very round, almost lIke I lOok pregnant. This is why I'm still worried about ovarian cancer.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 hours later
Thank you for your follow-up question.

As far as for why you seem to be urinating so frequently we must consider the possibility that some of the muscles in the pelvic floor have developed some weakness. This can lead to leakage of urine as well as frequency of urination. It can also lead to leakage of urine with coughing or sneezing. As far as what the options might be to address this there are certain surgeries which can be done by a specialist to help strengthen the muscles in the area of the pelvic floor. This can give you a better degree of urinary continence.

It does not seem like you have any type of infection going on which would cost frequency of urination. It does not seem obvious that you have any type of diabetes. Along these lines I would consider a follow up with a urologist or a pelvic floor surgeon who has expertise in this type of situation.

I can appreciate that what you're dealing with is quite frustrating. I thank you again for submitting your question and I hope that my response has provided you with adequate and informative considerations in addressing your question. If you have any additional concerns I am available to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: What are the causes for constant pelvic pain and frequent urination ? 11 hours later
Sorry, last question and thank u very much fir your patience and understanding. You don't think the frequency of urinating is linked to ovarian cancer as my test results were all normal. And I shouldn't be worried?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

The bottom line is yes, you should not be worried about ovarian cancer at all in this case.

Thank you again for the query and followup. I am always here should you have any additional concerns.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga.