What are the causes for Vertigo inspite of having a carbon monoxide leak?

Hello my husband woke up with vertigo in December. It would come and go. He is currently Ina very stressful judicial election. He had an eng and they said the result were abnormal as far as his eye movements and follow up with MRI. His office was found to have a carbon monoxide leak and other people were sick too. It had slowly been leaking out but now a new furnace is installed. He is in good health although he had open heart surgery 6 years ago and since then has resumed a normal lifestyle Such as swimming laps, snow skiing, and working out on treadmill. We have not scheduled a MRI because he has no mother symptoms and the vertigo or now he describes it as light headed feeling has now worsened but rather seems to be rectifying itself. Thank you for any info you can provide. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 27 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: •57 year old female •Known case of vertigo, now improving, have light headed feeling now. •Stress of judicial election + •History of carbon mono oxide exposure •Complaints of: random tingling and periods of strange sensations on face Vertigo is not a disease. It is a symptom, which can occur in several different diseases. It is most commonly caused by a problem with the balance mechanisms of the inner ear and problem within the brain or the nerves. Common causes of vertigo, are possible in your husband case (considering history and age) in following hierarchy: -Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of positional vertigo that is found in 20 percent of all patients with vertigo. Episodes of BPPV may occur for a few weeks and then may disappear suddenly. No further investigation is needed in such cases. -Carbon monooxide poisoning: It affect oxygen supply of body and can lead to vertigo/diziness. It also cause light headed feeling. In such cases diagnosis is confirmed by measuring the levels of carbon monoxide in the blood. The ratio of carboxyhemoglobin to hemoglobin molecules in an average person may be up to 5%, although cigarette smokers who smoke two packs/day may have levels up to 9%. -Stress and anxiety: Can lead to headache, diziness and tiredness. -Ménière’s disease is a rare condition in which vertigo is associated with dizziness, hearing loss and ringing in the ears (tinnitus). -Brain tumor or tumor in the inner ear, also called acoustic neuroma, affects the nerve which is linked to the inner year, thereby leading to a feeling of loss in balance. MRI is needed to rule out this condition. In practice, physician investigate from all the angle, and they do not like to miss any possible cause. In my view also, he can go for MRI brain, although there is fair chance for normal MRI. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: What are the causes for Vertigo inspite of having a carbon monoxide leak? 7 hours later
There is no tingling on his face or any other part of body. To me he has sounded like he has a bad sinus infection for the last few months but had a course of antibiotics when this first started and he visited emergency care. They said his ears were distended(????). They did a neuro test and said it was not neurological. Now though after eng they thought perhaps follow up with MRI. We are confused. Thank you. He is a male.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hello again, Thanks for follow up. I can understand your situation. First cause is suspected in cases of vertigo is related to balance like in BPPV. In inner ear, there are 3 semicircular canals which help in balancing the body. If there is any problem like infection, trauma, inflammation or tumor in that area, body can develop vertigo. As your husband had distended ears history, which used to happen due to infection or inflammation. If it is infection, it may spread to upper side like in brain (although chances are less in your husband case, considering history). Same time it is not necessary to have many symptoms (like tingling) to suspect neurological problem, as some times they can present with 1 or 2 mild symptoms. In such cases it is better to rule out intracranial issues by imaging study like MRI brain, even chances are less. MRI will also show status of inner ear and sinuses. Although it is complex decision and person need to look for finance also while taking decision. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. Wish you good health. Regards