What are the causes and treatment for viral cough?

Hi I have a itchy throat(it was kinda sore at first then went away) & ears & kinda like a straberry look on the tip of my tongue & red raised bumps on the back of my tongue. my throat as well as underneath my tongue is yellow looking & my tongue is kind of white in the back. & you can see my vains it looks like in my throat Horrible cough & sneezing sometimes as well Please help !
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 57 minutes later
Brief seems to be a viral cough Detailed answer.... Hello, Thanks for the query. Your symptoms typically are of viral cough. Most cough are viral in nature and gets cleared once the immune system of the body clears up the virus. There is nothing to worry for this. Treatment involves... Avoiding cold drinks and smoking Taking more of hot liquids and doing steam inhalation twice a day. Take paracetamol for any headache or bodyache or fever. Put nasal decongestant drops,if nose is blocked. Take some OTC cold and cough syrup,although their real efficacy is doubtful,OR You may take anti allergic like CETRIZINE once in night for 5-7 days. Antibiotics are not given in viral cough because they are used in bacterial infections and are of no use in viral infections. You should be all right in next 7-10 days. Consult a doctor if .. Cough extends for more than 2 weeks If there is blood or wheezing in cough. If you start getting chest pains or if you develop severe high fever. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Follow-up: What are the causes and treatment for viral cough? 3 hours later
Can it make you feel faint dizzy and/or lightheaded ? Also, am I contagious ?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello, It is normal to feel lightheaded or become dizzy on severe bouts of coughing because during cough pressure in the chest rises which result puts in less blood flow into and from the heart. This results in less flow of blood flow to your brain resulting in temporary dizziness and lightheadedness. It is definitely contagious because during cough,you shed virus in mucus droplets which can infect others. Make sure that you keep your mouth covered by handkerchief so that others don't get infected. Thanks
Follow-up: What are the causes and treatment for viral cough? 2 hours later
But what's causing my mouth to be yellow & have bumps on the back of my tongue? Also, when I lift my tongue it feels kind of tight ? Is this normal ? Any ideas ? I'm sorry. It's just that this has never happened to me before.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello, I don't think it be abnormal and is a part of ongoing viral infection. Just wait and watch.Your symptoms should subside soon. Do some warm saline gargles. Thanks