What are the brown patches in my eye after being hit by a soccer ball?

brown patches in my eye while in the dark after being hit in the eye with a soccer ball
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 17 hours later
Dear Badrano,

Thanks for posting your query here.

The brown patches appear to be deposition of blood pigments in the sub cutaneous area.

Blunt injury with a soccer ball leads to rupture of blood vessels. This causes to seepage of blood in surrounding area which is responsible for the brown patches. This blood is usually cleaned up by body tissues. It may take up to 4-6 weeks for the process to complete.

Here I would be keen to the time elapsed since this injury.

In the initial stages cold compresses prevent excessive oozing. If it has been few days cold compresses will be of no use.

Presently It is a natural process which can be helped by local Heparin ointment application on the skin.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any more queries, I will be available for followups.