What are the best way to quit smoking?

let me know the best way to quit smoking
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 32 minutes later

Smoking is a psychological habit. To quit smoking, you need to get motivated in a planned manner. However physical addiction can cause craving which can impair your ability to quit and so relapses can be common occurrence. So be strong in continuing with your promise to quit smoking.

I shall suggest some tips to help you,

1. List out the reasons which make you to smoke like stress, anxiety, depression, etc., and try to find an alternate way in such situations. Remember that many other persons who do not smoke also could overcome stress, so there is an alternate and healthy way to deal with it and you need to realise that.

2. Decide your own plan, because you have your own needs. Though there are nicotine chewing gums that can help you temporarily, few doctors may not recommend this. You may try this supplement briefly if you find the going hard, but I do not suggest you to replace a cigarette with nicotine gums.

3. Keep your motivation strong. Meditation and yoga might help you keep the motivation going. You may try those. In addition others like psychotherapy can be tried through a psychiatrist. You may choose this option too.

4. Replace your requirement with mint, gum, chocolate, etc., whenever you get those cravings. They might helps. Think of the benefits when you quit smoking tell everyone around you and stop.
Realise how healthy you can be without smoking.

4. Keep your mind and body busy. Drink lots of water. Remove cigars from places around you. Avoid travelling through the road where your shopkeeper is waiting to sell the cigarettes.

5. Your intention to quit is the only best way. But if things get hard, you may try nicotine gums or other drugs through your family doctor. He/she can also suggest a psychiatry consult for therapies if needed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.