What are the best exercises for the iliopsoas ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What are the best exercises for the iliopsoas ? How does one work on lengthening the muscle to relieve pressure on the muscle?
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
To relieve the pressure on the muscle, the best way is to stretch the muscle. This can be done both actively and passively with the help of your physical therapist.
1. Stretch- Add Psoas and Hip Flexor stretches after your workouts. Get out of your chair at work occasionally and do some stretches. Do some at night before you go to bed.
2. Release- The most effective way to loose your Psoas is through a therapist. But you can do it yourself using a ball slightly larger & softer than a tennis ball. This massage technique releases your Psoas through an active range of motion.
Lay on the ball, about 1-2 inches outside your belly button.
You’ll feel your Psoas respond as you lower yourself. It will hurt a little.
Arch your back; come up onto your elbows. This will result in a more forceful stretch and release on your Psoas.
3. Activate Your Glutes- Active glutes will help inhibit and relax your Psoas.
Other exercises that will help you are leg swings, lateral lunge, bound angle pose, etc. You can learn all these exercises from your therapist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.