What are the benefits of taking hormone replacements?

Mar 2014
I am 65 and went through menopause in my late 40s. I have read the ups and downs to hormone replacement. Can I get any benefits from taking hormone replacements? As much as I try to prevent the signs of old age are showing as much as I try to prevent it. Can taking a natural remedy hurt?
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Taking a natural remedy will not hurt Detailed Answer: Hi and welcome to health care magic. I understand your concern. Hormone replacement therapy was designed to fight a few effects of menopause that were harmful for the well being of females. The most important of them was thinning of bones or osteoporosis and control of hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms that develop during the immediate menopausal period. The dose of hormone used is very tiny. These drugs were not meant to prevent changes in skin though some benefit may be expected. However research demonstrated that if these drugs were used for a long time or in women more than 60 years, they lead to increased chances of heart attacks, blood clots, dementia, sexual problems and also risk of earlier death. So it is not advocated to take them for long term or after the age of 60 years. You have attained a natural menopause that was not too early. So the effects of endogenous hormones did not go away too quickly as happens in premature menopause. You also have hashimotos thyroiditis. It is not clear if the thyroid is going through the increased hormone phase [ hyperthyroidism] or hypothyroidism. Thyroid dysfunction itself may have effects on heart and blood vessels. So it is not wise to combine this with hormone replacement therapy. There are many ways to prevent or conceal aging signs. They include treatments like botox, and corrective face lift surgeries. A cosmetic surgeon or a plastic surgeon will be able to help you. Regarding natural remedy: Phytoestrogens are present in plants and help in keeping the body fit and prevent degenerative changes. They can be obtained from soya beans, green leafy vegetables , sprouted beans etc. Protein supplements with phyto estrogens are also available. Taking them does not cause any harm. So go ahead with it. If you plan to take any other natural remedy, make sure you get it prescribed by a person skilled and certified in naturopathy. Hope this satisfies your query. Thanks for using HCM. Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. Dr Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Follow-up: What are the benefits of taking hormone replacements? 19 minutes later
So I would need to take a fruit and vegetable supplement? or what supplement should I take?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: try soya milk and tofu Detailed Answer: Thanks for the follow up query. You need to take green leafy vegetables like spinach and sprouting beans of all sorts. Soyabean has a very high concentration of phytoestrogens. Try soya milk and tofu. Tofu pill or menopro powder are also available over the counter. Hope this answers your query. I am here to answer any more queries that you may have. Thanks once again and take care.