What are the benefits and risks of having a gastric bypass?

In gastric bypasses, where is the limb connected to in the small intestine? I am trying to understand the benefits and risks of how much intestine to bypass. I am assuming the starting point is the end of the stomach. If my doctor says he is going to bypass 2 meters, does that put the new connect point in the duodenum or jejunum area of the intestine?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Should be in the jejunun Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. There are various types of gastric bypasses depending upon the exact indication and the disease. The starting point is usually somewhere before the end of stomach and the end is usually the jejunum. If your surgeon says 2 m then it is definitely the jejunum. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.