What are the benefit and side effect of insulin plus and autrin? Looking for natural substitutes

Can I get the benefits and side-effects of the following prescription in detail?

3. Also what are the natural substitutes for each of the above medicines

Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 48 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

I think you have mis-spelt it as insulin plus. If you meant Inulin plus, it is an inulin dietary fibre supplement- a kind of starch believed to improve the digestive function. It promotes some beneficial gut bacteria and improve digestion.
In our evidence based allopathic practice, it is not routinely prescribed and not recommended in guidelines.
They are prebiotics and are thought to be beneficial. More research is needed to prove clear benefits.
It may cause bloating and gas formation as side-effect. It may cause allergy.
Autrin is a combination of ferrous fumarate and folic acid.
It is iron and folic acid vitamin combination and is used to treat iron deficiency and megaloblastic anaemia.
It can cause gastritis (acidity) and black stools. Rarely iron hypersensitivity and reaction may occur.

If your CBC was normal, you need not have iron supplements, unless iron loss is ongoing.
It can cause acidity.

Natural substitutes:
Inulin plus: fruits and their skins, vegetables, whole pulses (with skins) etc.
Autrin: jaggery, green leafy vegetables, organ meats, soyabeans etc.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Please ask for any clarifications before closing and rating this query.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck! Thank you!!
Follow-up: What are the benefit and side effect of insulin plus and autrin? Looking for natural substitutes 11 hours later
Thank you for your response. I made a mistake in the first name. It is INSUMIN PLUS and not what I mentioned earlier or what you thought. Please explain the benefits and side effects as well as natural substitutes for this one.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 10 hours later
Insumin plus capsules contain multi-vitamins including high dose B12 and folic acid.
Its benefits are as replacement in vitamin deficiency states, as anaemia, nerve related diseases, hyperhomocysteinemia etc.
XXXXXXX natural sources are meat products, milk, eggs.
Fortified cereals is the vegetarian option.
severe deficiencies need injectable and then oral supplement.

I think this answers your query well.
Please rate the experience here before you accept and close the query.
Follow-up: What are the benefit and side effect of insulin plus and autrin? Looking for natural substitutes 25 minutes later
You have not mentioned the side-effects of INSUMIN. Pl. do so.

Would these medicines impact sleep? She felt active but was unable to nap which is normal practice.

I will close the query once satisfied.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 16 minutes later
Sorry for missing that part.

Vitamin B12 is safe for most people when taken by mouth or the injectable product is used correctly.
In some people, vitamin B12 might cause diarrhea, blood clots, itching, serious allergic reactions, and other side effects.

Folic acid is also safe for most people when consuming the recommended amount each day.
High doses of folic acid might cause abdominal cramps, diarrhea, rash, sleep disorders, irritability, confusion, nausea, stomach upset, behavior changes, skin reactions, seizures, gas, excitability, and other side effects.

Concerns have been expressed about heart disease and cancer risk with prolonged high doses.

Pyridoxine might cause nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, headache, tingling, sleepiness, and other side effects.

Long-term use of high doses is unsafe. It might cause certain brain and nerve problems.
All treatments have to be taken under medical supervision for appropriate indications.

your both drugs contain Folic acid.
Just ask your doctor if this double dosage was indicated.
I did not see any clear indication of this treatment when CBC was normal.
Was there any other indication?