What are the alternatives to Nitrofurantoin for UTI treatment?

Hi i was on amoxicillin for a uti and got pain in kidney areaso started on nitrofurantoin instead (3 tablets so far) and i have muscle aches, sore glands, back and neck ache, more frequent bowel movements, dizzy, bit itchy and a bit of a tingly tongue yesterday. Slight chest pain a few times on the left hand side but not constant, might be because of the affect on my bowel i dunno. I dont know if all things are related but i think some are. Ear ache possibly related and headache was present since even before i took itfor a few days. Feel a tad warm too So far the symptoms are there but not extremely bad so i dont know if i should stop or not? What alternatives are there? I took cefalexin earlier in the year and it gave me a couple of hive like spots. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 24 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stop Nitrofurantoin Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day The symptoms described by you Muscle aches, sore glands, back and neck ache, more frequent bowel movements, dizzy, bit itchy and a bit of a tingly tongue arre likely to be due to Nitrofurantoin. If You have no fever, and your Urinary complaints like increased frequency, urgency, dysuria are beginning to subside i would suggest you to discontinue Nitrofurantoin. I would advise you the following 1. Ciprofloxacin Antibiotic can be used for 5 days 2. Ensure high Urine output by ensuring water intake of 2-3liter a day 3. Phenazopyridium can be used which is urinary analgesic if you have burning Urination. 4. Suggest you to get Urine for culture and antibiotic sensitivity: will be helpful to guide further management if symptoms dont improve In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD