What are the alternative medications for high BP ?

Is there a medication for high blood pressure that does not XXXXXXX your energy?? I was taking 5 mg lisinopril...bumped up to 10 mg & can hardly walk - I'm constantly tired....
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 42 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX thanks for your query.

Sometimes it takes a little while for your body to adjust to the lowering of blood pressure which your medication causes. Lisinopril is in a class of medications which are generally very well tolerated. One other option is for you to split the dose so you take 5 mg by mouth twice daily. One other option would be to take the medication at full 10 mg dose at bedtime to see if the side effects are minimized that way. Finally, make sure you check your blood pressure regularly - especially during times where you feel very tired or as you say barely able to walk.

I hope this information and suggestions is helpful for you. I am available for your followups.