What are the advantages and disadvantages of Vasectomy? What is the recovery period?

Hi I would like to know more on vasectomy operation. Also would like more on advantages and disadvantages on this. Is it advissible to do for men instead of woman. Just need to know brief about this. Query 1: What will be duration of this operation? Query 2: How long it will take to make the normal life. Query 3: In chennai which is the best private hospital for doing this. Query 4: Whether this operation will cover under medical insurance.
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 47 minutes later
I understand your query.
It is easier to sterilize men than women simply because there is no need to enter the abdominal cavity. Vasectomy is done through a small incision in the scrotal wall and this is a distinct advantage. There is no specific disadvantage except that it can produce antisperm antibodies, which may cause problem in pregnancy if u opt for vasectomy reversal.
No scalpel vasectomy ( procedure done without knife cut by using a special instrument) is also available in select centres.
1.     You can go home the same day.
2.     You can resume normal activities from next day onwards, go to work after three to five days.
3.     Be sexually active once you are comfortable, even though it takes THREE MONTHS to be sterilized.
4.     No scalpel vasectomy is done well in kilpauk medical college hospital. Unfortunately, I am not sure of a private hospital.
5.     The regular vasectomy is a simple procedure and is a regular procedure for most surgeons and urologists.
6.     The insurance issue needs to be checked with the insurance company.

Hope I answered your query. Kindly get back for any further queries.
Get well soon.
DR G Srinivasan