What are symptoms of hypothyroidism?

Hi Doctor, I am 32 year old male. I attached my report of OGTT on 26-Jan-2014. You suggested me that I am in Pre-Diabetic stage (Impaired Glucose Tolerance) and I have to do regular exercise and have good diet. I followed good diet and did 2km walking 5 days a week and put down 2.5 KG. I underwent Fasting and Post-Prandial Test today (02-Mar-2014). They came normal. I also did Serum Creatinine and Thyroid Profile (T3, T4, TSH) along with the above tests. Serum Creatinine, T3, T4 came normal. But TSH was little above the range i.e. 5.86. I am attaching old reports of OGTT that was done on 26-Jan-2014 along with the new reports that was done today (02-Mar-2014). My mother is a Diabetic and also has Thyroid problem which prompted me to go for these tests. Please suggest - what should I do regarding the TSH? Regards, XXXX
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Good job sudershan Detailed Answer: Dear sir, Hi! you have done great job. but you must remember these results depend upon ongoing efforts. you have to continue diet and exercise. I have no idea about any of your peevious thyroid values so if you have any peevious thyroid report let me know, if this is first time that you have done your thyroid report then you must repeat it once from a different lab and re confirm. if you are symptomatic then of course you start the treatment. Regards!
Follow-up: What are symptoms of hypothyroidism? 45 minutes later
Hi Doctor, I underwent Thyroid Test in May 2013. At that time below are the values: TSH was 5.26 I am attaching that report as well. Please have a look and suggest me what could I do next. I don't feel any weakness symptoms. If you can share me a list of symptoms, then I can check and let you know. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Almost same reports. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX the reports are same, as far as symptoms of hypothyroidism are concerned, they are 1. weight gain 2. depression 3. constipation 4. hair fall 5. dry skin 6. brittle nails. any ways , i think you need to start the treatment with thyroxine 50 mcg once a day , empty stomach. Regards!
Follow-up: What are symptoms of hypothyroidism? 25 minutes later
1. weight gain - i am on constant weight. there was no gain in weight 2. depression - no depression 3. constipation - not at all 4. hair fall - heriditary. my father has bald head. 5. dry skin - no dry skin. mine is oily skin. 6. brittle nails - no brittle nails. ok. i will start thyroxine 50 mcg - once a day on empty stomach. do i need to start taking insulin tablets as well of very low dosage? Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: nothing for diabetes. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX as you said, you are not symptomatic but still TSH above 5 on two occasions justifies the treatment. there are no insulin tablets so far. also you don't need treatment for diabetes as of now, just continue dietary restrictions and regular physical activity. Regards!