What are symptoms of carcinoid syndrome?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi there. For the last two weeks all I am doing going from doctor to doctor asking to test me for carcinoid syndrom and everybody refuses. I am 46, had h. Pylory in the past, had abdominal pain for a long time, two weeks ago I developed stubborn hives, my lips swell, severe abdominal pain, heart burn like sll my body i side burning, had diarhrea twice, i am on losec, prednisone, zyrtec, still my lips swallen, and abdominal pain is bad, but hives and itch subsided, what's your oppinion?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: My opinion is that you should do at least 24 hour urine levels of 5-HIAA and cromogranin A. If this is fine then i dont think you need octreoscan test ot PET CT scan. You should do it in priovate lab if your doctors isnt concerned. Carcinoid syndrome usually goes with diarrheas and "flushing". Hives and lips swelling is not usual ,but it can be part of this syndrome. So you are right,carcinoid sy should be considered in differential diagnosis but chances that this is right diagnosis is not big. Carcinoid tumors are very rare and more common these symptoms indicate some less serious allergic or autoimmune disorders. I suggest to do allergy testing too. Also,you need more detailed gastroenterologic work up including colonoscopy and ct scan. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards