What are symptoms and treatment for irritable bowel syndrome?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My 15 year old daughter, always seems to have to run to the toilet, during or after eating her meals, she says her stools are always loose, sometimes greenish, and she sometimes feels clammy and sick, this has been going on for quite a long time, other than this she is quite well.
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. It looks like she is having irritable bowel syndrome. This is a condition in which the bowel works abnormally causing various symptoms like loose stools, increased gas and mucus in stool etc. She needs to get a stool analysis done and tests for thyroid function and celiac disease should also be done. She may require a colonsocopy. All these tests are to be done to rule out other causes with similar symptoms. She may require to take antispasmodic and antidepressant medications for relief. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What are symptoms and treatment for irritable bowel syndrome? 9 minutes later
Thank you for that, I had or have an irritable bowel I had to take powers when I was young, as I was quite bad, but has got better as I have got older, I am er mum, so can this be hereditary? Also why would she need antidepressant for this?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for getting back to me with more questions. No . irritable bowel syndrome is not hereditary though it can be seen in many members of a family. IBS is of complex nature and studies are still going on to see how genes are involved in IBS. Regarding the antidepressant,it is not given to treat any depression. This medication also has other modes of action. It acts in a way to control the effect of brain on the bowel. It controls the sensitivity and the motility of the bowel and helps to reduce the discomfort. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini