What are stony white particles in stools? Pain while passing stools, dark stools, abdominal bloating, taken Levoxyl for hypothyroidism, had esophageal cancer

Orthopaedic Surgeon
what are "stony white particles" distributed "in" the stools not just in the periphery. They are between 1mm to 3mm in size ? Have observed more "stringy" white particles in stools yesterday. Have suffered Sharp pain when passing stools, and pain may linger all day, sometimes very acute.
No blood in stools either red or dry (dark stools). Abdominal bloating and gas starting half an hour after eating ( no matter what I eat: carbohydrates or not, lipids or not, sugars or not...and this last for the rest of the day.. Suppositories and analgesic creams for hemorroids don't help.
Have been on levoxyl for hypothyroidism for 30 years. Blood test for thyroid hormones done 1 month ago.
Stool sample analyzed a month ago, before problem started. negative.
Treated with chemo and radiation for esophageal cancer (SCC) in 2008. In remission.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The stony white particles in the stool if the intestinal parasites are ruled out can be due to a medicine granules or capsule granule shells that you might have been taking. Usually the outer shells are non absorbable and are excreted out with stool.
Any dietary ingredient like seeds might also be the cause.
The white string like substances can be due to the mucous excretion along with stools. It can happen normally or due to inflammatory bowel disorder.
You can get a repeat stool examination done and if it is associated with any blood in the stools then consulting a gastroenterologist will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: What are stony white particles in stools? Pain while passing stools, dark stools, abdominal bloating, taken Levoxyl for hypothyroidism, had esophageal cancer 7 hours later
Could these particles be gallstones (Cholesterol ones?) since i don't eat seeds or take medications or nay thing for that matter in capsules? (I can't swallow them, and need to let the levoxyl melt in my mouth, to prevent choking?) After posting my query to you, the pain was still so great that I had a saline enema to dislodge anything that could still be trapped in my rectum/anus area at the site of the anal fissure and creating the pain, (burning and lancinating) i was still experiencing. Results? Bigger particles were expelled ( 0.5cmX 1.0cm!) which I probed and find them somewhat hard for the "Shell" and filled with a dark greenish dense substance.
I was able to sleep for several hours after taking suppository for hemorroids and 8-10 doses of liquid baby aspirin. Any suggestion on what to do next?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The hard substances in your stool are not likely to be gall stones as these do not pass in feces normally.
These are more likely to be fecoliths- a stone like formations of the fecal matter. These are more commonly seen in chronic constipation. A stool examination will help in confirmation of the findings.
You need to avoid constipation by doing some dietary modifications, taking plenty of fluids orally and using laxatives after consulting your physician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.