What are some of the pros and cons of xanax?

Question
What are some of the pros and cons of xanax? I am apprehensive about taking this drug. I am anxious and lacking any ambition. I am in sales and can not get myself to work. Help! I am in my late 70's.
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 47 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Xanax is a a member of a family of drugs called benzodiazepines. The actual drug name is alprazolam.
It is used for anxiety disorders and for persons who have difficulty sleeping.

When it is taken it is readily absorbed and peaks about 1 to 2 hours after use. It is broken down and secreted in the urine.

Like all benzodiazepines there is a risk of dependence. Dependence is where a person comes to rely on a drug.This risk however is greater if doses greater than 4 mg a day are used and if it is used for more than 12 weeks.So if your dose is less and the time frame is less,there is less chance (though the possibility still exists) of dependence.
Because of this dependence if you decide to stop the drug it should be done slowly or withdrawal symptoms may occur.

There is also the risk of drowsiness so you have to be careful doing anything that may be considered hazardous in a drowsy state.

On the pro side- it would help with symptoms of anxiety and sleep disorders. The dose can be altered if you are too drowsy during the day

On the con - there is the potential for dependence and excess drowsiness

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions