What are skin side effects, contraindications and treatments of pneumonia?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
What are skin side effects, contraindications and treatments for all for someone with pneumonia?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 14 hours later
Hi there.

Pneumonia is infection of the lungs due to micro-organisms, toxins, trauma.

Patients with pneumonia get fever, cough with yellow sputum which can be blood tinged or associated with XXXXXXX blood, weakness, malaise.

If the infection spreads to other parts of body, and causes sepsis, any organ can get affected. Skin can become cold, clammy, pale, skin infections can also occur causing sores to break out.

Sometimes skin may turn yellow due to jaundice if the liver fails due to sepsis induced by pneumonia.

Treatment for pneumonia includes antibiotics to treat the infection, tepid sponging and medication to reduce fever, cough medication to reduce damage to respiratory tract caused by coughing, good nutrition composed of protein XXXXXXX diet, good hydration as well.

Patients of pneumonia should avoid exposure to pollution, dust, heat, hot or cold fluid or food, They should not smoke or drink alcohol as this increases damage to lungs and reduces immunity respectively.

Kindly consult Pulmonologist for the patient for best management.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.