What are skin side effects, contraindications and treatments of Raynaud's Disease?

What are skin side effects, contraindications and treatments for all for someone with Raynaud's Disease?
Posted Thu, 31 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 14 hours later

Thanks for your query. I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Raynaud's disease is a condition that causes some areas of your body like fingers, toes, the tip of your nose and your ear, to feel numb and cool in response to cold temperatures or stress. It occurs as a result of constriction of blood supply and limiting blood circulation at the affected areas

1. Symptoms include cold fingers and toes, color changes in your skin in response to cold or stress, numb, prickly feeling or stinging pain upon warming or relief of stress. Affected areas of skin usually turn white at first then often turn blue, feel cold and numb and sense of touch is dulled. And as circulation improves, skin turns red, throb, tingle or swell.
The order of the changes of color isn't the same for all people, and not everyone experiences all three colors. Fingers and toes are the most common site of Reynaud’s phenomenon.

2. Treatment of Reynaud’s phenomenon is focused on prevention. It includes keeping warm and protecting against exposure to cold, stress management, relaxation techniques, avoiding smoking, exercise to increase circulation, etc. Surgery is rarely needed.

3. As treatment is focused on prevention and medications have least role, I don't think there are any factors contraindicating treatment. Avoiding cold exposure as and much possible prevents Reynaud's disease.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer