What are skin side effects, contraindications and treatments for someone with addison's disease?

What are skin side effects, contraindications and treatments for all for someone with addison's disease?
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 13 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Addison's disease occurs when the adrenal glands do not produce enough of the hormone cortisol and, in some cases, the hormone aldosterone.

The disease is characterized by weight loss, muscle weakness, fatigue, low blood pressure, and sometimes darkening of the skin in both exposed and non-exposed parts of the body.

Skin changes in Addison's disease are: there will be areas of hyperpigmentation, or dark tanning, it can be seen in covering exposed and non-exposed parts of the body. This darkening of the skin is most visible on scars, skin folds, pressure points such as the elbows, knees, knuckles, toes, lips, and mucous membranes. Sometimes paleness is also seen.

Treatment of Addison's disease involves replacing, or substituting, the hormones that the adrenal glands are not making. Synthetic glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid are used. If receiving mineralocorticoid replacement therapy, are usually advised to increase their salt intake.

Addison’s patient undergoing surgery should have pretreatment with synthetic glucocorticoid and saline the previous night.

During pregnancy, in case nausea and vomiting, oral drugs can be replaced by injections.

Contraindication to treatment depends on the drug given and any associated diseases from which you are suffering. It will be nice if you mention your past history of disease and also the drug history.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.