What are side effects of taking ipill once in a month?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
what are side effects of taking ipill once in a month?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later

I pill is a emergency pill which should not be used repeatedly as it can cause short term and long term side effects.
It can cause menstrual irregularities, nausea, bloating sensation of the abdomen, breast tenderness, brownish discharge etc as short term side effects.
With repeated use of less than two months interval it can affect fertility and can lead to hormonal imbalance causing poly cystic ovary disease etc.
For more details:http://srsree.blogspot.in/2012/08/emergency-contraceptive-pill-short-term.html
So better to use some regular method of contraception instead of repeated use of i pill.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: What are side effects of taking ipill once in a month? 22 minutes later
Could you pls suggest me with good contraceptive pill to use on regular basis and method to use it

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

You can use contraceptive pills like XXXXXXX or XXXXXXX etc.
Which contain Progesterone in the form of Drospirenone 3mg and estrogen as Ethinylestradiol 0.03mg.
The pack will contain 21 yellow or active pills and 7 white inert pills.
You have to start the active pills on the first day of your menstrual cycle and after completion of active pills you have to take inactive pills for the next seven days.
Usually during this last 7 days period you will get withdrawal bleeding. But irrespective of occurrence or nonoccurrence of bleeding you have to start the active pill of next pack after completion of inactive pills of first pack without gap.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: What are side effects of taking ipill once in a month? 14 hours later
Thanks for your revert. i could not get the meaning of "Usually during this last 7 days period you will get withdrawal bleeding. But irrespective of occurrence or nonoccurrence of bleeding you have to start the active pill of next pack after completion of inactive pills of first pack without gap.

---Do you mean that after 21 days active pills, i need to start inactive pill from 22nd day till 28th day. and even if my menstrual cycle dont start on 29th day, i need to start with active pill of next pack. is my understanding correct?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
Yes, you are correct, that is what I said.
You may get withdrawal bleeding during the last 7 days of pack when you will take inactive pills. If you do not get bleeding also you have to start the active pills as usual on 29th day.