What are post-coital migraines and its symptoms?

What are postcoital migraines and symptoms.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 36 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Regarding sexual or postcoital headache, is related to sexual activity usually at or near orgasm. Postcoital headache is commonly seen in men suffering from migraine or tension type headache. Classical headache is typically severe, throbbing, or explosive in nature, beginning at the moment of orgasm or shortly thereafter.

Beta blockers which are used to treat migraine may be taken daily to prevent both sex as well as migraine headaches. Indomethacin, an anti-inflammatory, or triptans, a class of anti-migraine medication, can be taken an hour or so before sex to ward off headaches.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist. You need to be on medications to prevent migraine becoming more chronic in the future.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist