What are normal levels of TSH?

My query is in regard to level of TSH post thyroid cancer. I have recently moved address and now have a new GP who ordered bloid test for thyroid levels. I had total thyroidectomy 28 years ago for papillary cancer. My GP wants to lower my thyroxine dose as the TSH was 0.05. Is this level acceptable? If not what level is acceptable in my situation
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Normal levesls of TSH are 0.5-5. Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about this conflicting information and the inconveniences this must have caused you. We would take a look at what the numbers mean and of what importance they are. The normal values for TSH is 0.5-5mU/l. This is also the range we love to see or patients settle in during treatment for thyroid hormones replacement. Lower than normal levels suggest a possible over treatment while higher than normal values suggest under treatment. Evaluating treatment for low thyroid by regularly monitoring this values helps make the dosage adjustments to make sure a client is not been over medicated or under medicated. In your case, it would be easier said that you are receiving probably more than you really deserve and it is not a good thing to do. This would need t be correlated with how you feel. For now, I will join your doctor to suggest a reduction in dosage. If you should develop any symptoms suggestive of receiving an inadequate dose, then it shall be adjusted accordingly. Also, the numbers would be guiding but, how you feel is more important and useful in making treatment decisions in this condition. This is simply because how much a patient receives is titrated to that patient and not a standardized dose. I have clients who need as little as 25mcg while others requirement 100mcg and only monitoring can guide make these decisions right. In all, accept the reduction. Laboratory monitoring and your symptoms would guide find just the best dose for you. I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you well. Please, feel free to ask for more information and clarification if need be. Thanks for using our services! Dr. Ditah, MD.