What are multiple myeloma symptoms?

I have iron deficient anemia. I do take a blood thinner(Xeralto) for AFIB. Some doctors suspect I have internal bleeding that may be causing the bleeding. There isno evidence of that. I also had a kidney creatinine of 1.7. My normal is 1.3. My kidney is extremely delicate and responds to any physical problem especially dehydration. My hematologist suspects the possibility of multiple meyloma. He ordered me a test for protein electrophoresis. The good news is that the albumin, alpha1 globulin, alpha 2 globulin, beta globulin and gamma globulin were normal. The bad news is that I had an M-spike of .2. Does this automatically suggest that I have multiple myeloma?
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No, it does not Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. To have myeloma, one needs to have M band, bone marrow plasma cells >10% and at least one of calcium high, hemoglobin 2. I think you have none of these. The M band is also quite low. It can be something called monoclonal gammopathy of uncertain significance (MGUS), where there is M protein in blood but it is not causing any problems to the body. In Myeloma, M protein causes problems to the body, like those I mentioned above. I guess you will require some more investigations to rule out myeloma, then you may be observed with regular tests from time to time. MGUS does not require treatment unless it turns to myeloma, which it does not, in all patients. Hope I have answered your query. i will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.